Bachelor of Laws, Singapore Management University (Magna cum laude)
Advocate and Solicitor, Singapore
Called to the Singapore Bar: 2013
Areas of Practice
Mary-Anne’s main areas of practice are commercial litigation, arbitration, and legal advisory. She has been involved in SIAC, LMAA, LCIA, SCMA, ICC and ad hoc arbitration matters, and has represented clients in transactional disputes, shareholder minority oppression, employment, insolvency, and corporate restructuring matters. In 2018, she was described in Benchmark Litigation as being “top-notch, patient and knowledgeable”. Mary-Anne is conversant in both English and Mandarin.
Some notable matters which she has acted / assisted in are:-
- The “URSUS” and Ors  SGHCR 7: Represented ship-managers, successfully resisting vessel owners’ application to strike out claim and to stay in rem proceedings in Singapore. This is the first local decision considering the impact that a stay of in personam proceedings may have on in rem proceedings.
- Centaurea International Pte Ltd (in liquidation) v Citus Trading Pte Ltd  SGHC 264: Represented creditors, successfully resisting liquidator’s application under section 259 of the Companies Act. This is the first local decision on section 259 of the Singapore Companies Act.
- A Foreign Joint Venture v A Singapore Insurance Company: Successfully represented insured companies against their insurers in an ad hoc arbitration where the claim related to the recovery of over SGD 10 million under a contractor’s all-risk insurance policy.
- A Singapore Consultancy Company v A Singapore Rig Company: Successfully represented rig consultants in an SIAC arbitration, in relation to contractual disputes and claims under their consultancy contracts.
- A Malaysian Property Company v UAE Hospitality Company: Successfully represented a purchaser in an LCIA arbitration, with respect to dispute arising from the acquisition of a property in Thailand, where the key issue in dispute involved the interpretation of the Thai tax code and Thai tax policy.
- Acted for a Myanmar congolmerate in a joint venture transaction relating to a commodities terminal in Myanmar.
- Acted for a Myanmar company in a joint venture transaction involving a mixed-use development project in Myanmar.